What Happens When You Skip Breakfast
5 Reasons Why You Should Never Skip Breakfast
1. You Are Breaking “Fast”!
- During the night, the body continues to carry out metabolic processes that require energy.
- In the presence of a shortage of glucose supply, the glycogen store is broken down to ensure an adequate supply of glucose to the brain and other parts of the body for effective metabolism.
- The implication of this is that by morning, you would be on low glucose and this should be replenished by breaking the night-long fast
Check out these 12 foods that increase metabolism.
2. It Has a Positive Impact on Your Brain
- Breakfast is important in boosting the brain’s activity and effectiveness. The absence of an adequate supply of fuel (glucose) to your brain dulls your brain activity.
- Studies have shown that a dip in glucose availability can hurt attention, memory, and learning. Hence, taking breakfast can improve memory retention and makes you focus.
3. Breakfast Improves Concentration
- Healthy breakfast is important in boosting concentration while skipping it does the opposite.
- If you want to concentrate better in the mornings on brain-involving activities? Don’t skip the most important meal of the day,breakfast!
4. It Helps to Control Your Weight
- Studies have shown that people who skip breakfast tend to overeat and have cravings for excess sugary and fatty foods throughout the rest of the day. Being hungry makes you not be selective about the foods you consume later in the day. So, you easily grab on any nearby food without thinking twice about it.
- Having a regular breakfast helps you go about your day feeling full and not needing to eat unnecessarily.
This is important as it helps keep your weight in check. You can lose weight by entirely changing what you eat.
Skipping breakfast is a part of many intermittent fasting protocols, such as the 16/8 method. Intermittent fasting can have numerous health benefits.
At the end of the day, breakfast is optional, and it all boils down to personal preference.If you feel hungry in the morning and you like breakfast, go ahead and eat a healthy breakfast. A protein-rich breakfast is best.However, if you don’t feel hungry in the morning and don’t feel that you need breakfast, then don’t eat it. It’s as simple as that.