Bunion Exercises Pdf
We have compiled this Bunion Exercises Pdf to cater to your bunions effectively. These easy-to-do foot exercises can help relieve pain, increase mobility, and possibly slow the progression of your bunion.
Bunions (also known as hallux valgus) is a progressive deformity that involves lateral deviation of the great toe and medial deviation of the first metatarsal. It typically involves the development of a bony prominence on the medial aspect of the first metatarsal head.
Bunions occur when the tissue at the base of your big toe becomes swollen, forming a large bump on the side of your foot
Over 64 million people will experience a bunion. We will help you in finding ways to reduce pain and prevent future bunions.
You Can Download Bunion Exercises Pdf Below
1. Big Toe Joint Mobilisation
Grab your foot around the ball of your foot stabilizing the whole foot with that hand. With the other hand, gently pull your big toe straight out as you move it up and down for the prescribed amount of reps.
This exercise helps stimulate the synovial fluid production in the big toe joint (the natural lubricant for
the joint) and mobility.
How To Do This Exercise
- Cross your left ankle over your right knee.
- Use your left hand to stabilize your foot.
- With a flat palm, slide your right hand between your 1st
and 2nd toes, gripping your big toe.
- Move your big toe in a clockwise direction and then in an anticlockwise direction.
- Perform 10 Clockwise rotations and 10 Anticlockwise rotations. 1 -3 times daily.
2. Arch Strengthen Exercise
This exercise will strengthen the muscle that moves your big toe from side to side and keep
the arch stable. This will assist in slowing the progression of the bunion deformity and help
to stabilize your big toe.
Slowly lift your right heel as high as you can, focusing on strengthening your arch. Rotate your arch inward as your knee and calf rotate slightly to the side, causing your arch to become higher. Slowly lower back down to the starting position. Do 2–3 sets of 10–15 repetitions on both sides.
How To Do This Exercise?
- Sit on the edge of a chair with your feet on the ground.
- Relax your feet and legs.
- Move your big toe away from the others with your hand, keeping the muscles relaxed
and your foot flat on the floor.
- Keep the big toe in this position by tensing the muscles and pushing the inside and
the outside edge of your toe/foot into the floor.
- Hold this for 20 seconds. Repeat 10 times. Do 1 set per day.
3. Pull It – Traction
(Stiffness and/or compression of the big toe joint can limit movement.)
Grab above and below the joint of the big toe.
Firmly pull the joint apart.
You can add a gentle up/down motion of the joint as you do this.
Hold for 30 seconds.
4. Toe Circles
This mobilizes the joints in your toe and helps to reduce stiffness.
- While sitting on a chair, lean over and grip your big toe.
- Begin circling the toe clockwise, 20 times.
- Stop and reverse the direction for another 20 circles.
- Complete 2 to 3 sets on each toe.
- Stand in a staggered stance with your target foot at the back.
- Anchor your big toe down as you lift your heel as high as possible.
- If able – try to get into the kneeling down position.
- Aim to feel a stretch under the foot.
- Hold for 30 seconds.
6. Ball Roll
- Place a tennis or lacrosse ball on the floor and put your foot on top.
- Roll your foot back and forth over the ball.
- Repeat this motion for 3 to 5 minutes on each foot, even if the bunion is only on one foot.
7. Figure Eight Rotation
- Move your toe in a figure eight motion rather than a circle.
- This helps with flexibility and range of motion.
- Repeat 10 times on each toe for 2 to 3 sets.
8. Walking Along The Beach.
- Try and spend time walking on sand. This can give you a gentle foot massage and also help strengthen your toes.
- This is especially beneficial for people who have arthritis associated with their bunions.
9. Cold Therapy.
If you’ve been on your feet a lot or you experience inflammation and irritation of the bunion, icing the area can help relieve pain.
10. Strengthen It
- Place your foot on the floor.
- Lift your big toe up as high as it will go.
- Aim to feel a contraction at the top of your foot.
- Hold for 30 seconds.
You can Download Bunion Exercises Pdf here => bunion-exercises-PDF
Learn more in the Everyday Health Foot Health Center.