The Fat-Fighting Diet: 500-Calorie Dinners
Eating a dinner that is around 500 calories can help promote weight loss. I have gathered up some low-calorie dinners for busy weeknights. These delicious 500 calorie dinners have nutritious vegetables, whole grains and healthy fats, and all clock in at 500 calories or less.
Every day, to lose weight, you should eat between 200 and 400 calories for breakfast, 500-700 calories for lunch, and 500-700 calories for dinner.Foods that are loaded with low-calorie vegetables and fruits can be included in a 500-calorie diet. You can make vegetable soup, vegetable salad, fruit salad with low-fat yogurt, or a portion of grilled chicken or fish with grilled veggies for lunch or dinner to satisfy your hunger pangs.
An ideal daily intake of calories varies depending on age, metabolism and levels of physical activity, among other things.
Generally, the recommended daily calorie intake is 2,000 calories a day for women and 2,500 for men.
The NHS recommends a woman should have about 2000 calories per day to maintain her weight, try to eat 500 calories for breakfast, 500 calories for lunch and 500 calories for dinner – to keep you from feeling hungry during the day and gives you a few calories leftover for healthy snacks and the occasional glass of wine!
EASY DINNERS UNDER 500 CALORIES
1.CHORIZO, CHICKPEA AND SWEET POTATO STEW
Makes => 6 portions
Calories per portion => 346 kcal (without rice), 457 kcal (with 100g cooked brown rice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 200 g chorizo sliced or diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ – 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 400 g sweet potato roughly 1 medium one, cut into 1cm chunks
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400 g tin chickpeas
- 200 ml water (possibly more if your pan is shallow)
- 100 g baby spinach
Place the oil and the onions in a large pan. Cook over a low heat for 3 minutes, until the onions are starting to soften. Add the chorizo and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add the garlic, paprika and chilli and cook for 1 more minute. Add a splash of water if it gets too dry.
Add the sweet potato, tomatoes, chickpeas and water and bring to the boil. Turn down, cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked, then stir through the spinach and cook until just wilted – about 1 minute.
Serve on its own or with bread or rice.
These delicious recipes, complete with nutritional analysis, all contain less than 500 calories per serving and are packed with healthful nutrients. Best yet, these are not “diet” recipes, but great food your friends and family will also enjoy.
500 Calorie Food Samples
- Crab Cakes
- Mixed Greens with Tomato-Ginger Dressing
- Yellow Pepper Soup
- Apricot-Glazed Pork Medallions
- Curry-rubbed Swordfish Steaks with Fresh Green Chutney
- Garlic-Lime Chicken with Olives
- Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- Steamed Vegetables with Ponzu Sauce
- Angel Food Cake with Mangoes
- Chocolate Meringues
- Ginger Tea Cake
Less than 500 -Calorie dinners -Fast-Food Menu Items
What should you order when you find yourself at a fast-food chain? We’ve identified meal and snack options with less than 500 calories each.
- Subway’s 6″ Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki Sandwich: This pretty tasty sandwich is a perfectly portioned for lunch or dinner. Order with a small bag of baked chips and bottle of water. CALORIES: 500
- Arby’s Roast Turkey and Swiss Wrap: Order with a bottle of water or small unsweetened brewed iced tea. CALORIES: 495
- Panera’s Chopped Chicken Cobb Salad with Avocado: Swap the standard Greek dressing with for reduced fat balsamic vinaigrette. CALORIES: 490
- Pizza Hut’s Veggie Lover’s Pizza (2 slices): Enjoy ¼ of a 14” Large Thin ‘N Crispy Veggie Lover’s Pizza with a tall glass of water. CALORIES: 480