Top 10 Foods That Speed Up Your Metabolism To Lose Weight
It is important to keep in mind that everyone has a different metabolic rate. Doing regular exercise, getting enough sleep, and drinking plenty of water are three of the best things you can do to speed up your metabolism. However, you can also make it work effectively by eating right.
We will share a list of foods that have been shown to help give your metabolism a boost. Add these foods to your daily diet, and watch the pounds drop off.
10. Hot peppers
- Believe it or not, chilies are great for weight loss. Why?
- Scientists have found that they accelerate metabolic rate, increase thermogenesis (heat generation in the body to melt the fat), and improve energy expenditure.
- The main weight loss phytonutrient, capsaicin, increases energy expenditure of the fat tissues and also helps regulate insulin levels
- Studies have shown that eating hot peppers can speed up your metabolism by 25%.
- If eating spicy foods makes you sweat more than usual, this is due to capsaicin, a compound that stimulates pain receptors in the body.
- It increases blood circulation and metabolic rate, making your body burn fat faster.
Where do you find it? In chili peppers, jalapenos, cayenne peppers, and other forms of spicy peppers.
9. Whole grains: oatmeal and brown rice
The intake of grains and cereals is always recommended in a healthy diet. The secret is to choose whole grains – for example wheat, oatmeal, rice, and corn.
Whole grains have nutrients and complex carbohydrates that accelerate your metabolism by stabilizing insulin levels.
Do remember that having low insulin levels is not good, since the imbalance of this chemical tells the body that it needs to store extra fat. Therefore, be cautious with the consumption of these foods.
- Broccoli is an important source of calcium, which accelerates your metabolism.
- It is also rich in vitamins C, K, and A.
- One serving of broccoli will provide you with an important amount of folate and dietary fiber and a variety of antioxidants. It is one of the best detox foods you can add to your diet.
- It is loaded with dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals, protein, and numerous phytonutrients that help fight various types of cancers and metabolic syndromes.
- Scientists have found that broccoli extract can help decrease blood sugar levels and improve abnormal metabolism
- Consume blanched broccoli in salads or vegetable quinoa or make broccoli soup for dinner or lunch. You can also have broccoli fritters instead of munching on a bag of chip
Numerous studies confirm that soup consumption is linked with a lower risk of obesity. In most diets, this food is incorporated before the main meals. Why? Researchers conclude that people who start with soup consume less solid food when it comes to their main meal.
In fact, a study at Penn State University determined that the combination of liquids and solids in soup generates a reduction in appetite, thus reducing too much food intake and helping to burn fat more quickly.
- Coffee is a great beverage to improve your metabolism. This dark, aromatic, and mood-boosting drink aids fat oxidation by increasing your body’s metabolic rate. In fact, scientists found that caffeinated coffee works better in obese individuals Decaffeinated coffee is not as effective.
- Drink two cups of black coffee per day. But avoid it if you cannot tolerate caffeine.
- Many studies have shown that coffee and green tea speed up metabolism, as well as providing other health benefits: they possess a great amount of antioxidants, help lower blood sugar level, help to burn more fat, and reduce the signs of cellulite.
- Green tea remains the unchallenged winner in the best natural weight loss drink category.
- The catechins in green tea – epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), epicatechins (EC), and epigallocatechin (EGC) – are antioxidants .
- These help scavenge the harmful oxygen radicals and prevent oxidative damage to the cells, DNA, and cellular functions. When you prepare green tea the right way, the antioxidants help protect the cells, which function normally and keep your metabolism going.
5. Apples and pears
Apples and pears can be great allies when it comes to losing weight, not only because of their low caloric content but also because these two fruits can boost your metabolism. This is supported by a study conducted at the State University of Rio de Janeiro, which confirms that women who ate three apples or small pears a day lost more weight than those who did not.
3. Citrus fruits
Citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruits, and lemons also help to burn fat and keep your metabolism high. In addition, because of the high amount of vitamin C, citrus fruits regulate the level of insulin.
2. Foods high in calcium
- If you want to increase your metabolic rate, it is very important to eat plenty of foods high in calcium.
- A study at the University of Tennessee confirmed that people who consume between 1,200 and 1,300 milligrams of calcium a day lose twice as much weight as those who consume it in smaller amounts.
- Protein-rich foods like lean meat (chicken breast, fish, scallops, etc.), legumes and beans, tofu, mushroom, and soy are great for amping up your metabolism.
- They keep your hunger in control and prevent you from consuming too much food, junk food, in particular. And when you consume less junk food (or sugary/salty food), your body will stop storing fat, reduce inflammation and stress, and support your cells to carry out their functions.
- Consume a source of protein with every meal to keep your metabolism firing. You can also take protein powders if you do not get to consume enough protein (0.8 g protein per kg body weight/day) from whole foods
1. Omega-3 fatty acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are primarily found in fish, but they are also present in nuts and seeds, flax, and hemp seed oil.
These foods speed up your metabolism because they reduce the production of a hormone called leptin (a natural chemical that slows down your metabolism).
In fact, a study by the Mayo Clinic found that African tribes that included plenty of fish in their diet had five times lower leptin levels than those that did not consume it.
Other Things You Should You Do To Boost Metabolism
- Drink 500 mL of water first thing in the morning.
- Or drink a glass of fenugreek soaked water or lime juice water first thing in the morning.
- Workout regularly.
- Take less stress.
- Do not starve yourself. Eat every 2-3 hours.
- Eat healthy, even when you eat out.
- Learn to say NO to foods that will make you step back in your weight loss journey.
- Build your social support by interacting with people with similar fitness goals.
- Sleep for 7 hours.
- No late night snacking.