How Many Calories Should You Eat Per Day To Lose Weight?
- A calorie is simply the measure of energy in all the food we consume. If you want to lose weight, then you need to make sure the calories leaving your body are greater than the ones entering it.
- That is, it is important to consume lesser calorie. Even though losing calories is the only way to lose weight, your calorie should never be lesser than 1,200/day.
- The amount of calories that your body needs can vary depending on your age, sex, activity level, and body size.
- Having low calorie can affect you and let your body go into starvation mode. This will drastically reduce your muscle mass, slow your metabolism, and stop your body from getting the nutrients it needs daily
Fast facts on calorie intake and use
- Recommended calorie intake depends on factors such as age, size, height, sex, lifestyle, and overall general health.
- Recommended daily calorie intakes in the US are around 2,500 for men and 2,000 for women.
- Eating a big breakfast could help with weight reduction and maintenance.
- The brain uses around 20 percent of the energy used in the human body.
- Factors affecting ideal calorific intake include age, bone density, and muscle-fat ratio.
- A 500-calorie meal consisting of fruits and vegetables has more health benefits and will keep you feeling full for longer than a 500-calorie snack of pop
Simple Scientific Calorie Calculator
- Enter your details in the calculator below to figure out how many calories you should be eating per day to either maintain or lose weight.
- The calculator is based on the Mifflin-St Jeor equation and can provide an estimate of your calorie needs. It utilizes population data, as well as other factors, including genetics, medications, and lean body mass, that affect your calorie needs
Formula:Resting Metabolic Rate using Mifflin St. Jeor Equation :
- For Men : 10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) – 5 x Age + 5
- For Women : 10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) – 5 x Age – 161
How To Calculate Your Daily Calorie Need
- This calculator uses your age, size, sex, and activity level to estimate the number of calories you should eat per day to maintain your weight.
- You can adjust this number based on your goals if you’re trying to gain or lose weight.
- Keep in mind that this tool only provides general guidance, as activity levels and many other factors influence your daily calorie needs. Thus, this calculator will likely provide a number that’s close to your calorie needs, but it’s not a perfect tool.
- Your doctor or dietitian can offer more individualized advice on your ideal calorie intake depending on your health status and goals.
This calculator is for informational purposes only, and you should consult a healthcare provider before making any health decisions. The framework is based on the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation, which used population-level data. This means using the equation to assess individuals should be used with caution. There are many additional factors that contribute to a person’s resting metabolic rate, including medications, lean body mass, and genetics.
How Many Calories Should You Eat On Average?
- The number of calories you should eat per day depends on numerous factors, including your age, sex, height, current weight, activity level, and metabolic health, among several others.
- When trying to lose weight, it’s important to create a calorie deficit by consuming fewer calories than you normally do or by exercising more. Some people choose to combine the two, eating a little less while being more physically active
This is how many calories you should eat, based on recommendations from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA’s) 2020–2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (Source).
How Many Calories Should Women Eat Per Day
- Calorie needs for women can depend on their age, size, and activity level.
- Most women between the ages of 19–30 require 2,000–2,400 calories per day to maintain their weight.
- Women between the ages of 31–59 have slightly lower energy needs. Generally, women in this age group should consume 1,800–2,200 calories per day to maintain their body weight.
- Women over age 60 generally require fewer calories and typically need to take in around 1,600–2,000 calories per day to maintain their weight
- Keep in mind that the exact number of calories that you need may fall on the high or low end of this range — or even exceed it — depending on how active you are, plus your height, weight, and health status.
- Additionally, these estimates don’t apply to those who are pregnant or breastfeeding, as they’ll need significantly more calories.
How Many Calories Should Men Eat Per Day?
- Men between the ages of 19–30 should consume 2,400–3,000 calories per day to maintain their weight.
- Men between the ages of 31–59 need about 2,200–3,000 calories per day to maintain their weight
- Men over 60 generally require 2,000–2,600 calories
- Men who are very active or have certain health conditions may require more calories.
- The number you need within these ranges also varies based on your height and weight.
How Many Calories Should Children Eat Per Day
- A 3-year-old child might need only 1,200 calories, but a teenager can require closer to 3,000 calories
- However, keep in mind that there’s typically no need to count calories for growing children and teens.
- Cutting a child’s calorie intake may increase their risk of nutritional deficiencies, slow growth, and foster an unhealthy relationship with food or an eating disorder
- Instead of counting calories, it’s best to encourage healthy, nutrient-dense foods, cook more meals and snacks at home, and promote regular physical activity for kids and teens.
How Many Calories Should You Eat Per Day?
How Many Calories Should You Eat Per Day To Lose Weight?
Frequently Asked Questions And Answers
Q1.How Many Calories Should You Eat For Breakfast?
- Many people find that consuming one-third or one-fourth of their total daily calorie intake for their morning meal works for them, others may need to adjust this amount based on their individual needs.
How Many Calories Should You Eat For Lunch Or Dinner?
- While some people may enjoy eating a large lunch and smaller dinner, others may decide to distribute their calorie intake more evenly.
- It’s best to find what works for you and stick to it when planning your meals.
How Many Calories Should You Eat To Gain Weight?
- To gain weight, you need to be in a calorie surplus, meaning that you take in more calories than you burn.
- Try eating more high calorie, nutrient-dense foods like nut butters, full fat yogurt, and fatty fish.
How Many Calories Should You Eat To Gain Muscle?
- Gaining muscle typically requires a calorie surplus, meaning that you should eat more calories than you expend throughout the day.
- Most of your calories should be based on Protein
The Best Online Calorie Counters
- Many websites and apps can help you track your calorie intake.
- You can try using a calorie counter or tracker for at least a few days to see the amount of calories, carbs, protein, fat, fiber, vitamins, and minerals you’re eating.
- This can be an easy, effective way to identify any gaps in your diet and make modifications to ensure that you’re getting the nutrients your body needs.
- Working with a registered dietitian (RD) and PT (Personal Trainer) can also help you gain, maintain, or lose weight while ensuring that your nutrient needs are being met.
Calories are units that measure the energy content of foods and beverages. While many factors can influence weight loss, you generally need to eat fewer calories than you burn to lose weight.
The number of calories that you should eat at each meal or to reach a specific weight goal can differ. Therefore, it’s best to experiment to find what suits your needs.
Although counting the number of calories that you consume may aid weight management, it’s also important to follow a balanced diet and consider the overall nutritional value of the foods you eat.
Making simple dietary and lifestyle changes, including exercising, drinking plenty of water, and increasing your protein intake, may help you lose weight and improve your health.