Squats, lunges, and calf raises are great home exercises for gaining weight in your legs. If you’ve got a gym membership, leg presses can be a huge boost to your thighs.
Diet’s also super important, so make sure you go in on the protein and veggies and avoid junk meals, fatty foods, and those with loads of fiber.
While many people do crave to have long, lean legs, some people with skinny legs wish their legs were curvier or more muscular as beauty standards have changed so abruptly
How To Gain Weight In Legs
Anyone can gain upper leg size by doing squats and lunges.
Best Exercises For Gaining Healthy Leg Weight Are:
- The Leg Press
- Calf Raises
Best Foods That Can Also Support Your Quest For Leg Bulk, Including:
- Healthy Oils
- Starchy Veg
- Nuts And Seeds
- Lentils And Black Beans
To Get Bigger Legs, Avoid These Exercises
- Try to avoid or limit any aerobic and cardio exercises such as running or swimming.
- These exercises help reduce extra fat and shape your muscles over time, but they’ll work against you if you want to bulk up.
- You can still do cardio or aerobics in small amounts to help tone muscles and shave off any excess weight on top of muscles, though.
- This can help you get definition in your legs for the shape or look you want.
The Best Exercises To Gain Size In Your Legs And Butt: Squats And Lunges
These target your glutes, as well as the quadriceps and hamstrings. But the perfect squat also takes core strength, stability, and ankle mobility.
Find a comfortable stance with your feet shoulder-width apart, then:
- Put your hands on your hips.
- Tense your abs.
- Keeping your torso upright, slowly sit down.
- Lower yourself into a sitting position until your upper legs are parallel to the floor.
- Keeping your torso upright, raise back up to a standing position.
Be sure to keep your posture upright and avoid putting too much strain on your knees. Practicing squats with a chair at first helps you nail the “sitting” motion.
These are also great for the glutes, quads, hamstrings, calves, and core. Working those big muscle groups is fantastic for your metabolism. Lunges also give your balance and all-round coordination a kick in the pants.
Start from a standing position and:
- Tighten your abs.
- Take a big step forward with one leg. (“One small step for man…”)
- Lower the back knee down until both knees reach a 90-degree angle.
- Push through the front leg to return to the starting position.
As with squats, it’s important to keep your posture upright with your chin up and head forward. Once you’re comfortable doing lunges using your own body weight, introduce weights to really put some boot in your glute.
Great Exercise To Gain Mass In Your Thighs:The Leg Press
This one requires a leg press machine or similar gym equipment, but it can help you target specific areas in your legs that are otherwise hard to work out.
If you’ve got access to a gym, a leg press machine can help turbocharge those sweet, sweet leg gains. Each machine is different. Some start you out flat on your back, others in a reclining position.
Either way, from there:
- Push with your weight spread evenly across your foot, keeping your head and back in line.
- Stop before you fully straighten and lock your knees.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
Remember to exhale as you push, and avoid raising your head. Be sure not to place your hands on your legs.
Gaining Mass In Your Lower Legs: Calf Raises
Calf raises are an incredibly simple but effective option for bulking up your lower legs. They can work wonders on your calf muscles.
That means better balance and stability — great if the rest of your workout routine involves jumping or heavy lifting.
To pull off the perfect calf raise:
- Stand on a step or raised ledge with your heels hanging off.
- Tense your abs and raise up onto the balls of your feet like you’re trying to stand on tiptoes.
- Pause briefly at the top.
- Return to your starting position with a slow lowering motion.
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts To Add Weight Or Muscle Mass On Hamstring.
This one targets your hamstrings, which can help you get bigger, more shaped legs. Fill a barbell with as much weight as you can lift in 10 reps without stopping. If you don’t have a barbell, two dumbbells will suffice. Bend your knees while maintaining your back straight and engaging your abdominal muscles to safely lift up the barbell or dumbbells.
- Stand shoulder-width apart with your feet shoulder-width apart. In front of you, place the barbell or dumbbells.
- After you’ve picked up the weights, stand with your hips hunched forward.
- As you stand, your back should be straight and your abs should be tight. The weights should be at thigh-height once you’ve risen.
- Bend once more to return the weight to the floor.
- Repeat for a total of three sets of 10-12 reps.
Foods To Avoid When Bulking Up Your Legs
Some foods are going to do you more good than others when trying to get bigger legs as fast as you can. To speed up your muscle hypertrophy,avoid;
- alcohol (it’s not a food, and don’t let those vodka Jell-O shots tell you otherwise)
- fried foods
- sugars and artificial sweeteners
- high fat foods like beef and cream
- high fiber foods like cauliflower and broccoli
- Smoking is also a pretty terrible idea if you want to put on muscle mass