What causes Stretch marks?
Stretch marks are tears in the collagen fabric of the dermis or bands caused by stretching of the skin’s connective tissue and usually occur whenever the skin is stretched beyond its tensile limits.
According to dermatologist Arash Akhavan, MD, stretch marks are caused when there’s a period of rapid growth in your body (like growth spurts, pregnancy, weight gain, or increased muscle mass) that suddenly stretches the skin, and, in turn, causes the collagen bundles under your skin to tear away from each other. So when the skin returns to its usual state (i.e., when it stops growing), “it can look wrinkled and lined, because it’s not supported by the same collagen structure underneath,” he says.
Like any scar, stretch marks are permanent and may fade with time. Because stretch marks are caused due to a tear deep inside your skin, there is no absolute cure for it.
Stretch marks aren’t dangerous, and they often disappear over time. You can have stretch marks just about anywhere, but they’re most common on your stomach, breasts, upper arms, thighs, and buttocks.
Stretch mark removal: Treatments and home remedies
10 effective home remedies for stretch marks
- Take 2-3 apricots, remove the seeds
- Next, grind it to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste directly on the stretch marks.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat this process every day for a month for better results.
You can also use pure apricot oil. =>Make a mixture of apricot oil and lemon juice and massage it on the stretch marks.
Potatoes are bleaching agent that heals the scars and gives you brighter skin.
How to use potato on scars
- Grate a potato finely and extract juice by squeezing it.
- Mix the juice with the grated pulp
- Apply the pack over the stretch marks.
- Let it dry for 30 minutes
- Wash off with cold water.
Olive oil has rich moisturising properties. It is full of antioxidants and other nutrients that are exceptionally good for repairing skin damage.
PROCEDURE:Apply cold-pressed olive oil on stretch marks twice daily for 1 month
4. Egg white
Egg whites contain amino acids and proteins that some find can heal the skin, restoring it to a smooth and youthful appearance.
- Separate the egg whites of 2 eggs from their yolks. This can be done by cracking the egg all the way around with a knife, and separating the 2 halves just far enough apart for the egg white to drip out into the bowl.
- The yolk will remain inside the egg’s shell, and it can be discarded or used for other purposes.
- Whip up the egg whites with a fork. A light whipping is all that is necessary.
- Apply a thick layer of egg whites over your stretch marks.
- Let the egg whites to dry completely
- Rinse with cold water.
- Pat the area dry with a soft cloth
- Rub in a thin layer of olive oil.
- Repeat the process at least 3 times a day in order to see results.
- Stretch marks should begin to become less noticeable in the following weeks,
- Stop once you are satisfied with the result.
Aloe vera acts as a natural healing agent and thus can be used to get rid of stretch marks.
- Remove the outer layer of the aloe vera leaf
- Take out the sticky gel from the inside of the leaf.
- Massage the gel on the skin and let it stay for 20-40 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water.
6.Coconut oil and Aloe Vera Gel
- Take a bowl and add two tablespoons of virgin coconut oil.
- Add freshly extracted aloe vera gel and mix well.
- Apply a small amount of mixture on the stretch marks.
- Apply it daily for best results
7. Baking Soda and Lemon Juice
Baking soda as a natural exfoliant removes the dead skin cells and thus removes stretch marks whereas lemon has bleaching properties that lighten the skin. The mixture of baking soda and lemon juice is an effective and quick way to remove stretch marks.
- One tablespoon of baking soda
- Fresh juice of half a lemon
- Cling wrap.
- Mix both the ingredients well
- Apply them on stretch marks.
- Cover it with the cling wrap
- Rinse it off after 20 minutes.
Sugar has been used to perform microdermabrasion, method to make the stretch mark fade away.
- Mix one cup of sugar with 1/4 cup of almond or coconut oil.
- Add some lemon juice in the mixture.
- Apply it to the stretch marks
- Rub it in for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Almond oil is a wonder skincare ingredient and can get you rid of every skin woe such as dry skin, dark circles and stretch marks.
Rich in Vitamin E and other essential nutrients, almond oil deeply moisturizes the affected areas, supports cell health, reduces redness of the marks and eliminates stretch marks with time.
- Heat some almond oil
- Massage your skin with it in a circular motion
- Let it be absorbed by the skin.
- Repeat this twice every day and follow up with a moisturiser.
10. Using Medical methods – Read more here
FAQs about how to remove stretch marks:
1. Can baking soda help remove stretch marks?
A. Thanks to its exfoliating properties, baking soda can be a great remedy in helping you get rid of stretch marks. Mix it with lemon and you have one of the best recipes for stretch marks-free skin.
2. What is the fastest way to get rid of stretch marks?
A. Keep your skin well hydrated. Loss of moisture can slow down the healing process. Also, coconut oil can be your best bet in treating stretch marks quickly. Coconut oil moisturizes the skin and makes the stretch marks disappear.
3. What foods can help remove stretch marks?
A. Foods rich in lutein such as broccoli, spinach and lettuce protect the skin and help reduce the stretch marks. Beans too can be of great help! Include beans in your weekly diet for effective results.